Upright Sostenuto

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:27:57 -0800

Michael:
	I wrote a reply to Joe's email to me several days ago, but my
ISP was down for a few days, and I deleted it.  Basically, what I found
was that if you regulate the sos. Rail (rubber strip) properly, it will
hold those notes that are played at the time.  But, since the sos.bar
doesn't actually lift those dampers any further, the other dampers (and
their sharpened pins) must contact the bar when they are played.  I
think that's why it's made of rubber.  There's no way that I know of to
avoid this.  If the sos. Bar actually lifted the dampers  further, then
the rest of the notes could be played without their dampers contacting
the bar.
	If this rubber strip were to be angled so that the damper
stickers slid over it as the rail is raised, this would lift the dampers
further.  But then the sharpened stickers might dig in and gouge the
rubber.  Also, if they do dig in, and they will,  the rail won't lift
evenly (see below).
	As far as regulating the stickers, I found it necessary to
install the action in the piano, and regulate them there.  This
regulation I found to be more difficult than regulating spoons.  I used
a hook made from wire to bend the stickers. The stickers must be in
exactly the right spot. Any sticker which is improperly positioned will
prevent the rail from moving upward. The rail hangers and the rail
itself are very lightly constructed, and will lift unevenly if there is
improper contact.
  	Eventually I was able to make it work, but I wasn't able to get
rid of the hard "feel" of the action with the sos. Pedal depressed. I
just don't think it can be adjusted any better.
	If you like challenges, go for it. I hope you get paid well for
your time.  I did the work on store time, so for me it was just another
task I needed to do.

	Best,
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego