Bad Rap

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:08:39 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 24, 2003 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: Bad Rap

> Which brings up a  question: What is the best way to
> "break the news" to a customer that her precious
> piano, instead of being beautifully restored by a Wise
> and True Craftsman, actrually seems to have been
> badly mauled by a malicious, juvenile chimp on street
> drugs ?
>     I have tried various methods: direct, indirect,
> humor, surprise, etc., but I have yet to find the One
> True Method which does not, in the customer's eyes,
> make ME the enemy:  regardless of the blatant and
> demonstrable evidence before us!
>      Thump
>
> --- Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>

I think there is no way to accomplish this without coming out ending up the
bad guy. Unless the customer is very enlightened and knows there are
problems without your saying so first. Most times I've been faced with this
situation the customer has expressed reservations and/or outright disbelief
in my report. Preferring to believe they made the right choice the first
time. Not to fret. You are not really out anything. The money has been
spent. It's not going to be spent again. Sadly, I think most times the
folks just give up on the piano and Sally goes on to play more video games.

Del