Impact tuning hammer.....wanted.

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:04:26 -0600

Hi Michael,

I wish I had a picture but I don't.

Imagine a tuning lever that fits on the pin of the grand piano, but instead
of the handle coming out horizontally (as in a traditional lever), it goes
straight up vertically.  At the top of the vertical section is a horizontal
section that is fastened so it forms a "T" with the vertical section.  At
each end of the horizontal section is a weight that is screwed on.  These
two weights, at each end of the "T", provide the mass for the impacting of
the pin.

If you've ever used an impact hammer for an upright, you will know why that
design does not translate to a grand.  It would be very awkward and
difficult to tune a grand with an upright impact hammer.  The T-impact
hammer adapts the impact technique for use with grand pianos.  The impact
design allows extremely minute changes in the pin while minimizing twisting
and flagpoling.

Does that make sense?

Corte

                      "Michael Gamble"
                      <michael@gambles.f        To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      snet.co.uk>               cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: Impact tuning hammer.....wanted.
                      pianotech-bounces@
                      ptg.org

                      11/25/2003 08:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Hello Corte S
You said:"I find the impact method much easier than a traditional lever and
I will
never switch back!

Corte Swearingen"
I ask - what is an impact tuning "T" or Lever (hammer) I hate to show my
ignorance but we all of us know more about some things trhan others. Here
in
the UK I cannot say I have ever seen such a beast in any catalogue. Please
advice! (I might be eternally gratefull!)
Regards
Michael G (UK)