Impact tuning hammer.....wanted.

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:30:53 -0500

At 1:01 PM -0600 11/25/03, cswearingen@daigger.com wrote:
>I'm not sure what percentage of tuners use an impact hammer but it seems to
>be pretty low.  This has always surprised me because I feel an impact
>hammer is quicker and more efficient and less tiring than using a
>traditional lever.  It makes me wonder why the person on this list is
>selling theirs?

Corte,

I've still got mine, a Mehaffey from 20 years ago. I quickly
discovered that impacting wasn't appropriate at torques under 100"/#,
and I could get enough impacting out of a standard hammer with #3 tip
on a 2/0 pin (that is, until torques climbs above 150-160"/#, in
which case I'm sorry not to have the thing along). So I use a
standard hammer.

Yes, I'd agree that the impact method can be quicker and more
efficient as tuning pins get tighter and tighter. But I'm very happy
with one hammer which can give me both impact approach and the
connected pulse approach. (No, I didn't mention slow'n'steady pull at
all.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No, Please wait, you're all individuals" Brain Cohen, exasperated
"Yes, we're all individuals"  the throng assembled in the street
                 below his window, in unison
"I'm not..."  Lone dissenter.
     ...........Monty Python's "Life of Brian"