Glue

Hazen Bannister hazen@bannisterpiano.com
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:59:35 -0500

HTML MessageHi,
I always use Elmer's yellow glue.It works great, with no mess or fuss.When I replace hammers,I cut the old ones off with a pair of shearing pliers.so there is no concern as to how easy they come off.
Best,
Hazen Bannister
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David M. Porritt
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 11:09 AM
  Subject: Glue

  OK, I know I'll get flamed by some but I have a brand new flame suit so I'm safe.

  Where can I find some good glue for hammers?  I'm tired of using hot hide glue.  It's fussy!  If you use it straight it jells before you get the hammer in its final position.  If you use to much additive it is weak.  It gets moldy between uses.  I still get loose hammer heads even when doing it right.  As far as I can tell none of the current factories use hide glue for hammers and I don't find loose hammer heads on them.  I know Andre has some glue listed on his web site, but it's not available here.

  Suggestions?

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT

  Meadows School of the Arts