Glue

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 07:43:03 +1100

Hi Ron N. and all,

At 10:29 AM -0600 27/11/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>>I still get loose hammer heads even when doing it right.
>
>Then something isn't right. The best eliminator of loose heads I've
>come up with is a slight countersink bevel at the edge of the hammer
>bore. After applying glue to both hammer and shank, the bevel
>funnels glue into the joint instead of scraping it off of the shank
>as you spin the hammer on.

Absolutely, and I would like to add that a slight countersink on both
edges of the hammer bore (an idea which I credit to Wal Sullivan at
our workshop) really helps to strengthen the joint (which helps tonal
consistency). The countersink at the back can provide for a glue
collar at both ends of the hammer bore, provided that the tail
shaping is judiciously undertaken, so as not to remove the rear
collar altogether.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY