Extra Damper Lever Assembly

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:49:12 -0600

At 3:36 PM -0500 11/28/03, Tom Driscoll wrote:
>  It's called an auxiliary or dummy damper and is designed to keep
>the damper rod away from the levers when the pedal is at rest. The
>spring is much heavier than on the other damper levers and is often
>the first source of noise as it will wear through the spring
>punching. Replace the punching (if its there )or lube W/ V.J.
>             Tom Driscoll

Tom,

I don't know if you have read the other responses, but that's what I
initially said it's purpose was as well.

However, I don't recall finding auxiliary dampers generally installed
on vertical pianos with only one damper lever lift rod. However, I do
find the dummy levers installed on vertical pianos with the bass
damper lifting feature (middle pedal) that requires two damper lever
lift rods.

If these findings are correct, that would negate keeping the rod away
from the dampers as the primary reason/purpose for the auxiliary
damper lever.

Regards,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician