Extra Damper Lever Assembly

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:33:48 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Keith McGavern
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 5:49 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Extra Damper Lever Assembly

At 3:36 PM -0500 11/28/03, Tom Driscoll wrote:

 It's called an auxiliary or dummy damper and is designed to keep the
damper rod away from the levers when the pedal is at rest. The spring is
much heavier than on the other damper levers and is often the first
source of noise as it will wear through the spring punching. Replace the
punching (if its there )or lube W/ V.J.

            Tom Driscoll

Tom,

I don't know if you have read the other responses, but that's what I
initially said it's purpose was as well.

However, I don't recall finding auxiliary dampers generally installed on
vertical pianos with only one damper lever lift rod. However, I do find
the dummy levers installed on vertical pianos with the bass damper
lifting feature (middle pedal) that requires two damper lever lift rods.

If these findings are correct, that would negate keeping the rod away
from the dampers as the primary reason/purpose for the auxiliary damper
lever.

Regards,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild

USA

            Keith,

            I had not read the other responses, but as I see it, the
function of the auxiliary damper is to keep the rod up against the
action rail and away from the levers---split damper rod  or not .

Indeed most compact actions have the split rail for the middle
pedal-bass sustain feature, but a one piece rod can also interfere with
the damper levers if allowed to swing away from the rail and touch the
levers with the pedal at rest.

Tom Driscoll RPT