Dummy Damper/Keith

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:36:03 -0600

At 8:31 AM -0800 11/29/03, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>... I add
>a dummy damper to many, to eliviate the slight pressure that an
>out-of -balance lift rod will cause against the damper levers. Makes the
>slight "over-ring" go away, big time!<G>

Joe,

Those must be some mighty weak damper lever springs to allow that
lift rod to exert enough weight against the levers to cause
over-ring. Mighty weak! Given that, by adding a dummy damper, you are
only applying a corrective measure to a situation that was already in
dire need of help.

Definitely a great shortcut idea to avoid replacing the springs though.

I guess by out-of-balance you are saying not a straight rod. Yes/No?

Regards,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731