Dummy Damper/Keith

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:12:45 -0600

>Joe,
>
>Those must be some mighty weak damper lever springs to allow that lift rod
>to exert enough weight against the levers to cause over-ring. Mighty weak!
>Given that, by adding a dummy damper, you are only applying a corrective
>measure to a situation that was already in dire need of help.
>
>Definitely a great shortcut idea to avoid replacing the springs though.
>
>I guess by out-of-balance you are saying not a straight rod. Yes/No?
>
>Regards,
>
>Keith McGavern

Consider how dampers are supposed to work. Ideally, they remain in contact
with a vibrating string through it's full excursion, and by virtue of their
spring resistance, mass, and side to side restraint, absorb the string
energy and damp the string. If a lifter bar is riding on the bottom of a
damper lever, the damper can't follow the string back and maintain optimal
contact, so damping is compromised regardless of the spring strength. Since
dampers are never perfectly adjusted, nor are felts perfectly uniform, nor
strings perfectly spaced and leveled, some dampers will be more affected
than others. The intended purpose of the auxiliary damper lever is to keep
the lifter bar off of the damper levers to give the dampers at least some
chance of working. The squeak is just a bonus.

Anyone remember the old Pianocorder damper solenoid system? The thing was
too small, with too short a throw (by at least half), and had absolutely no
hope of ever lifting a set of functional dampers cleanly. Their official
genius work around was to install a "helper" spring to partially float the
dampers enough so the inadequate solenoid could actually lift some of them
from the strings a tiny bit and give the impression of sustain. Of course,
that meant that the dampers didn't damp, but that was the field tech's problem.

Ron N