Electric Planer Blade Alignment

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:01:16 -0400

I have a DeWald 12-1/2-inch electric planer. I'm having trouble getting =
perfect (or nearly enough) blade alignment. The machine comes with these =
two little plastic/magnetic jiggydoos that are supposed to allow for =
proper alignment - and they come pretty close if you are real careful =
with them. But even after doing the best job I can with these, one side =
of the blades will cut a tiny bit off a board when the other side =
doesn't touch the board. Anyone found a jig/method that provides better =
alignment?

With my poorly aligned dull blades that were in my planer (since =
sharpened and aligned better) I planed six quarter-inch-thick spruce =
laminations for a rib jig. The laminations were noticably thicker in the =
middle (the laminations were 9-inches wide and I planed each lamination =
both ways in the planer - so the middle ended up thicker than the =
edges). When I tried to glue them up pressing them together, I realized =
that the middle was pressed tight, but the edges had gaps. For this jig =
I simply bonded it together with epoxy, so no sweat. But for gluing up =
laminated ribs (using Titebond), I need to have the laminations =
perfectly equal thickness across their width.

Terry Farrell