Electric Planer Blade Alignment

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:50:45 +1000

At 7:01 AM -0400 2/10/03, Farrell wrote:

>I have a DeWald 12-1/2-inch electric planer. I'm having trouble
>getting perfect (or nearly enough) blade alignment. The machine
>comes with these two little plastic/magnetic jiggydoos that are
>supposed to allow for proper alignment - and they come pretty close
>if you are real careful with them. But even after doing the best job
>I can with these, one side of the blades will cut a tiny bit off a
>board when the other side doesn't touch the board. Anyone found a
>jig/method that provides better alignment?

Hi Terry,

I used to have similar problems getting the blades set accurately
until I conjured up a method of setting them using two dial
gauge/magnetic base sets. I have an Italian Li Atigiana (sp?) 16" 5hp
machine which is a very nice unit, but the blade setup jig which came
with planer is next door to useless.

If the dial gauges are first positioned (with their plungers oriented
vertically downwards) so that they read zero with bases attached to a
flat surface (the tailing out table of your planer is ideal), they
can then be carefully placed such that their respective plungers are
positioned directly over the axis of the planer spindle (one over
each end of the spindle).

If the blades are set at the correct height, as each comes into
contact with the two plungers, the dial indicators will
simultaneously rise to zero before falling away again as the blade
passes by. Note that it is important that the dial gauges be set so
that their plungers can extend only a couple of thou' further than
the zero point when first set up on the flat surface. This is
important to ensure that the blades can come into contact with the
plunger on each dial without moving the dial  indicator/base from its
position over the spindle.

I hope this is helpful. The concept is difficult to explain without
using an image.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY