RC vs CC again

Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:25:28 +0200

Bill Ballard wrote:

> Maybe as I follow the latest pass at this fundamental subject, there
> would be a difference between the resonance of these two boards
> arising from the difference in their impedance. The CC board is
> stiffer, and would tend to draw out, extend the transfer of energy
> from string to board. The RC boards would be more relaxed, being
> coupled with undeformed ribs. The string's energy would seem to pass
> more easily into the board. Unfortunately, power would seem to lie
> with one impedance matching, and sustain with the other.

Bill.. while I have a hunch that  this lies closer to the heart of the
Steinway projection thing then some would find it comfortable to
admit... I would also point out that this difference, is only found
under certain conditions. Perhaps you just left out that clarifier.. but
an RC board can be made stiffer then a CC board.. not if the mass and
dimensions of the parts of the assembly are identical mind you, and I'm
a bit doubtfull whether the RC board can get the same mass to stiffness
ratio as the CC board in general.

> Then again, much of the discussion seems to reflect the old "If all
> you had is a hammer, everything...". Some of us by situation are
> giving a good piano what it needs, equipped with a tool bag and many
> years out in the field. Others are installing boards and know what
> works and doesn't in a board. No wonder we see from our own
> successes, what a masterful worker can do. Our opinion of just where
> the improvement waits to be made, happens to coincide with our own
> line of work. Yes, we're miracle workers and our own particular
> specialization in this business is where the miracles happen. Nothing
> wrong with that, just humans being human.

We are also blending subjective and more objective definitions of what
is good and bad, what works and want doesnt to begin with. And in that
lies great potential for misunderstanding and differenment. All the more
reason to be pleased with the bulk of the discussion. Its been a while
since such evident willingness to read closely just what the other guy
is saying before replying has showed itself so clearly. I for one, am
very appreciative of said concern taken.

> Bill Ballard RPT
> NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Cheers
RicB