Pinblock Separation Questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:21:29 -0400

I just looked at a late 1980s Baldwin studio, serial #1417324, style =
#4023 (model number?), with a pinblock separating from the back assembly =
(about a quarter-inch separation). The piano has 3 backposts, but the =
back assembly is covered with veneers. Does anyone know if the backposts =
on these pianos extend to the top of the back assembly (top of back =
assembly also covered with veneers - yes, I will be able to tell when I =
yank these veneers off - but was curious before I get into it). Any =
knowledge of this Del? The three top plate screws are centered over the =
three post centerlines, so I suspect they may extend up to the top.

The couple times I have done this repair has been with older instruments =
where the backposts did extent to the top - and of course I =
through-bolted through them. If, by chance, this is a piano - like some =
Kimballs - where the backposts terminate at the base of the top back =
assembly (about at the pinblock bottom), has anyone done this type of =
repair on that design? I see no evidence that the rear portion of the =
upper back assembly has moved - appears that only the pinblock has =
moved, so I suppose it would be just fine to epoxy and through-bolt to =
the back of this design. Anyone aware of any pitfalls I might not be =
seeing here?

Also, any non-bionic technician willing to share how many hours they =
have taken to do a repair like this - start to finish, not including =
pitch adjustments and tuning (just clamping, drilling, bonding, bolting =
and cleanup)?

Thanks.