Leather Knob for Damper Frame Coil Spring

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:32:18 -0400

At 3:29 PM -0700 10/2/03, David Love wrote:
>Some time ago I saw some instructions for how to make that leather covered
>knob that holds the Damper Frame Coil Spring in place on a Steinway.
>Anybody know where I might find those instructions?

I'd guess it would be:
1.) measure the I.D. of the coil and the thickness of your leather
2.) calculate what diameter a cylindrical "knob" would have to be to
have the leather flow down over it,
    and still keep the leather within the coil's I.D. (Confirm this in
the bench.)
3.) make your knob (maybe, FR cardboard or felt punchings, punched again)
4.) glue everything up using the coil as a form for the leather on
the damper tray.

Who's going to bet a quarter?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.