Leather Knob for Damper Frame Coil Spring

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 02 Oct 2003 21:00:29 -0400

David Love wrote:
> Some time ago I saw some instructions for how to make that leather covered
> knob that holds the Damper Frame Coil Spring in place on a Steinway.
> Anybody know where I might find those instructions?
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

I used to make them with buckskin and a piece of wood dowel. They looked
like a hat. In resent years I have been using felt punchings as shown in
the attached photo. I use a brad and glue to secure it to the belly
rail. This is how it is done at the Hamburg factory; fast and easy.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979