Pinblock Separation Questions

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:17:57 -0500

>Also, any non-bionic technician willing to share how many hours they have
>taken to do a repair like this - start to finish, not including pitch
>adjustments and tuning (just clamping, drilling, bonding, bolting and cleanup)?
>
>Thanks.

I'm old and fat, so I assume I qualify as non-bionic. I take off the lid
and put a couple of monster clamps across the top of the back, drawing the
gap in a bit. If I can close the gap, the clamps will hold it while I take
out plate screws, drill through holes (3/8"), and install carriage bolts
from the back. I use washers that will fit around the square shank at the
head of the bolt to get a bigger footprint than the head provides. You can
sink a 3/8 carriage bolt pretty deep into a piece of poplar otherwise.
After the holes are drilled and I have bolts in place and have vacuumed up,
I loosen the clamps enough to pour Titebond into the crack, helping it as
necessary with a thin steel spatula purchased for just this sort of thing.
Glue in, I crank the nuts (lock washer underneath) tight and use the bolts
to pull the crack(s) together. Trim the bolts with a hacksaw, mop up the
glue, pack up the tools, take them to truck, bring back my tuning case, put
the lid back on, pitch adjust and tune the piano. I haven't lowered the
pitch to bolt the back, so the thing is often not far off, and I don't have
coils and such to mess with.

Takes somewhere between an hour and an hour an a half for the repair, plus
whatever the tuning takes, and I'm done in one trip in usually around 2.5-3
hours total.

No failures yet, that I know of.

Ron N