Pinblock Separation Questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 06:18:16 -0400

Thanks Ron. I seem to remember we went around on this one last time. =
This one is a good 1/4-inch gap, and the last tooner supposedly pulled =
it up to pitch, tooned it, and squirted a bead of silicone bathroom =
caulk into the top of the crack to prevent further spreading (or maybe =
he squirted the silicone in the crack before pulling up to pitch - I =
wonder which is the proper sequence?).

In this case, I will lower pitch first, as with the gap closed, the =
piano may go well above A440 (although I must admit I would do that =
anyway just for comfort - but in this case I have reason to believe the =
piano may have been at A440 after significant pinblock movement had =
occurred). I will also use epoxy in the crack. Titebond requires a =
clean, well-mated surface and good clamping pressure for a good bond. =
Whereas the mating surface in a case like this will likely re-align, =
between the debris (silicone glue, drill shavings, whatever else crud) =
and the original glue between the pinblock back and back assembly, I =
will simply rest much more comfortably at night if I use epoxy. The =
couple times I have done this repair, it seemed impossible to get the =
crack completely closed - all the more reason to consider use of an =
adhesive designed for gap-filling. I do understand that the repair would =
likely be successful with the through bolts alone - but overkill is my =
middle name - and I think that, arguably, epoxy use in this case may not =
really be overkill. Also, this is a relatively new piano - I would feel =
more comfortable with an adhesive other than epoxy if the piano were a =
1952 Winter spinet - this is a 15 year old otherwise very good condition =
Baldwin console - the piano has the potential for decades of good =
service.

And yes epoxy use does take a bit more time and requires two =
appointments. So the cost is more that a one-appointment repair. I have =
little doubt a Titebond repair will work. But I think for some anyway, =
there is a different comfort factor. There will always be significant =
unknowns regarding the integrity of a repair such as this where the =
assembly is not being completely disassembled, resurfaced and re-bonded.

Or, I could take the approach a dealer that I am aware of takes on a =
several year old expensive vertical piano - no clamps, no through-bolts, =
no Tightbond in crack, no epoxy - none of that stuff - just rout out a =
little groove along the jagged crack and shim in a shallow piece of =
maple, plane down to original height, touch-up finish and waaaallllla - =
problem solved (oh, and stack heavy objects on lid of used "repaired" =
piano while it resides in the new piano sales showroom, with the new =
piano price tag hanging from it, so that nobody is tempted to open the =
lid)!

Anyway, just a few longwinded, mostly constructive, thoughts on the =
subject.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20