Reading a Board geometry

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:53:59 -0500

>My thought is that with the proper support and a gauge that will reach
>down to the board/bridge from above a lot of neck craning is obviated.

It would, but it's not trustworthy. A panel that's 9mm un the center,
thinned to 5mm at the edges would give you a false positive when the crown
is actually negative. The underside, with accompanying neck cramps, is the
place to check.

>If the bridge cap is not parallel to the board or the string plane this
>would show as well. I guess the problem is to relate measurements taken
>along the long bridge, to measurements taken of the string plane/plate.
>Glenn C.

Right. You need to relate the condition of the crown with the overall
bearing angle and the front and rear bearing angles at various points in
the scale.

Ron N