Individual aliquots on a Mason Hamlin

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:52:09 +0200

I had this one up about a year back I think. Perhaps you'll remember... the
Bechstein folks obviously thought it might be fun to try and turn a Grotrian
into as much of a Bechstein as they could without all that much work... so they
removed the Grotrian double half round front segment bars and ran their green
felted wood slate underneath. And they muted off the backlengths also in the
fashion Bechstein does for its own instruments.  I forget what all else I
noted... but just so...

The result was actually quite curious. Grotrians sound sort of relies on all
those singing non-singing lengths. It creates a kind of cymbalish effect hissing
and whoosing in the background as part of whatever sustain there is. With out
it... the instrument sounded like it was missing something. Yet at the same time
you could hear what was left of the Grotrian klang really easily. On top of that
was that contant clear straight forwardish sound you get from Bechsteins
non-reliance on the front duplex. Really short front segment lengths before the
muting felt.  It was sort of like listening to two different pianos at once...
and seperately at the same time. A very curious experience

RicB