RC vs CC again

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:49:01 -0400

Terry Farrell said:

   " When flat ribs are glued to a very dry flat panel, no force vectors
exist in the system. As the panel takes on moisture and the ribs bend, the
ribs will always be trying to pull the panel flat. Period. If that assembly
has crown, the ribs will always try to go straight by pulling down on the
panel. The compression forces in the panel are the only thing that has
provided the force necessary to bend the rib into a crown. Whether or not
you ever load that soundboard on top, the ribs will always be fighting the
panel compression to go flat. When you do apply a load to the top of the
soundboard, the compression on the panel will increase, but the ribs will do
nothing other than still try to go flat. As the crown lessens under
increasing load, the ribs will pull downward a bit less, but only because
they are being bent upwards less by the panel. "

  The way I see it, the reason why we have the killer octave problem with
mostly CC boards, is that the crown produced with the panel's growth will be
kind of proportional to the lenght of the ribs. So, with this method the
treble that always have shorter ribs than the tenor will have less crown in
the beginning. Since compression will affect the board's with aging, we end
up with a dead killer octave and a no crown zone exactly where the ribs get
shorter...in the killer octave.

  So I guess there is no way to have a decent board assembly that will have
a predictable lifespan with the Compression Crowned method. It's physics.

  Again, I might be wrong, but I think I've seen the light.

  Marcel Carey, RPT
  Sherbrooke, QC