RC vs CC again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:22:56 -0500

>The way I see it, the reason why we have the killer octave problem with
>mostly CC boards, is that the crown produced with the panel's growth will
>be kind of proportional to the lenght of the ribs. So, with this method
>the treble that always have shorter ribs than the tenor will have less
>crown in the beginning. Since compression will affect the board's with
>aging, we end up with a dead killer octave and a no crown zone exactly
>where the ribs get shorter...in the killer octave.
>
>So I guess there is no way to have a decent board assembly that will have
>a predictable lifespan with the Compression Crowned method. It's physics.
>
>Again, I might be wrong, but I think I've seen the light.
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT

And that's at the most pronounced part of the curve in the bridge, so it's
out there by itself not getting beam support from the bridge up or down
scale from there. All the load goes on the rib and panel in that spot. That
area is loaded very heavily by string bearing anyway, and the panel is
thinned there, putting even more load on what panel remains. So there's a
whole stack of reasons.

Yup, physics. Always was.

Ron N