tuning hammer

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:59:00 EDT

In a message dated 10/5/03 8:25:23 PM, pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:

> Hi Terry,
>
> In some older pianos tuning pins were tapered. If you came across a loose
> pin you could give it a light tap--and it would be tight again. For that
> reason tuning "hammers" had a flat to do this tapping. There you go--one
> possibly appochrifal explanation of "tuning hammer"

Harpsichord hardware sellers on the web offer tapered pins for harpsichords,
but they couldn't say why or when the process started. This is of some
interest to me ever since I noticed baltimore/boston area 1900's pianos with tapered
pins, there seems to be no mention made anywhere of these. Very interested in
anything on this ?