tuning hammer

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 05:33:44 -0500

Crasher,

At 21:59 10/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/5/03 8:25:23 PM, pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:
>
>>Hi Terry,
>>
>>In some older pianos tuning pins were tapered. If you came across a loose
>>pin you could give it a light tap--and it would be tight again. For that
>>reason tuning "hammers" had a flat to do this tapping. There you go--one
>>possibly appochrifal explanation of "tuning hammer"
>
>Harpsichord hardware sellers on the web offer tapered pins for
>harpsichords, but they couldn't say why or when the process started.

It started way before straight multithreaded things...  As in, hundreds of
years.  No need for c/a or Lunsford when pins are loose.  ;-}

>This is of some interest to me ever since I noticed baltimore/boston area
>1900's pianos with tapered pins, there seems to be no mention made
>anywhere of these.

Don't know about these... Joe??

Conrad Hoffsommer, Decorah, IA
Household Hint: A set mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock
  will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep.