Hammers

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:40:27 -0400

At 7:41 PM -0700 10/5/03, David Love wrote:
>Moreover, it would be nice to be able to order hammers with a
>specified density, thickness over the core, etc. (or whatever criteria
>would be used) for each section.  How that would work in production, I
>don't really know.  And, to be honest, I'm not sure what my order would
>look like even if it were possible.

You may have heard stories from Rick Baldassin, Chris Robinson, and
Wally Brooks, all of whom import German hammers. Stories of the
number of sampled sets which had to be purchased before the actual
formula (or as you say, order) was eventually arrived at. Piano
manufacturers do the same thing with their hammer makers.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.