Good at Machining WAS: Reading a Board geometry

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:26:47 -0400

Living near Detroit I have acquired lots of machinery from old tool and
die shops. To do credible work you need both a mill and a lathe and a
lot of support tooling. Can be a time waster in that one of three
experiments is good to go. Re the downbearing gauge I bought one from
one of the suppliers years ago and returned it because of the low
precision bubble vial. Your best bet would be a simple jig with a place
to temp. mount a machinist's level. A good one is accurate to .005 per
foot and a REALLY good one goes .0005 per foot. Question is (and this
goes back to the vector discussion in recent threads) what do you want
to measure, which two surfaces to you want to relate to each other ?
Even S&S once specified thickness of a NEW coin for down bearing
gauging, or was that just romantical hype ?

            Will the mystery man or woman-"Crashvalve" --please sign a
name? List etiquette.

            Thanks,

   Hall monitor  -Tom Driscoll RPT