tuning hammer

Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:54:03 +0100

Hello Don
Yes! Copper covered Bass strings are simply called "covereds" and the rest
are simply called "metals". There's a tool (I have two) which look like a
Pizza cutter!! Except that the rim of the cutter has a groove in it to allow
the wheel to travel the metal string (mind the sound-board though!) By
pushing it down when the string is initially under its designated tensio
(always know when that is 'cos it's in tune!) it can stretch the string by
as much as a semi-tone thereby pretensioning it. Got it? The covereds are a
different kettle of fish though. These you simply grasp and heave-ho! me
hearties! Another broken string! No I jest. It works though. Yes there are
many many cases of nomenture clashes in our business! But the end result is
still beautiful music. N'est-ce-pas?
Michael G en Engleterre