Hammer fluff fallout

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:11:04 -0700 (PDT)

David,
Thanks for the response.  I have the grand action part
figured out, I do the same as you in padding the
bench.  I also carry the 4-leg action cradle in the
car.

So the vacuum is running during most of the time
you're filing?  Maybe I should consider a quieter
model.

I've gotten "stuck" twice reshaping hammers on the
front porch floor, not fun.

Dave Davis
Renton, WA

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>

> Even then I usually have a vacuum and lay the hose
along the shanks
so
that
> the hose end is in close proximity to where I am
filing.  That tends
> draw some of the airborn debris into the vacuum.
Cover the wippens
with a
> sheet of felt before filing btw.  With upright
actions I generally
find
> that there is somewhere to set the action outside: a
barbecue table
or
> something.  I prefer to file upright hammers with
the action laying
on its
> back.  Easier access and the filings don't fall down
in to the
action.  If
> you don't carry an action cradle (which isn't a bad
idea if you
anticipate
> filing--the one with four individual legs is much
more compact), you
can
> often lay the action back on a moving blanket
doubled up so as not to
> stress or bend the back check wires.  If it must be
done in the house
> again try to position the hose of the vacuum near
where I am filing.
It
> tends to draw the air toward it and the dust along
with it.  When you
are
> done vacuum around the piano for any residual
fallout.