Compression in Soundboards

Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:04:13 +0100

Hello Don - I've frequently found, when being asked to tune a piano for the
first time, that it's anything up to a  semi-tone flat. This I can't abide
and, if the piano merits it (and considering it was built to withstand the
tension of A = 440) I jolly well bring it up to pitch there and then. I have
great success in doing this with no repercussions. The piano sounds so much
better - it actually almost says "thank you!" Sometimes I get one or two
broken strings - but that's rare. And it's all done in 90minutes flat. As
for your 4-5 cents flat I work with the London Philharmonic and such people
and to tune anywhere short of A = 440 would be courting a walk-out!
Michael G (UK)