dummy pin

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:19:23

Hi Michael,

List etiquette here is to change the subject line when the body of the
message drifts away from the original thread.

My understanding is that dummy pins are used to make coils when new pins
are being installed to prevent wear and tear on the pin block. It is,
apparently, a time saver as well according to those that use them.

Knotting a new length of wire onto an existing torn string is standard
practice as well--and is perhaps better than "rolling" from one tuning pin
to the next around the hitch pin.

At 09:18 PM 10/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello Don. <snip> Back to the real world of "Dummy Tuning
>Pins" I cannot see the point of giving yourself all this extra work when to
>replace the pin with the next size up will allow you to do a better (I
>think) job. It seems to me that you're getting yourself into problem areas
>with the becket if you try and put a pre-formed coil and becket onto an old
>pin. I only use the old pin if I have a broken string and have to replace
>it. Then I use the "T" hammer to  s l o w l y  undo the old pin before
>winding on the new string. If, however, the string breaks at the coil and
>there's enough string on the paired pin to unwind and give sufficient
>string - then I do that. It is better to use the old matching string if
>poss. This becomes difficult on the overstrung pianos when the metals being
>"pulled round" are under the bass covered strings. But one adapts you know,
>one adapts - Yes?
>Michael G

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca