Knotted String...

Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:08:25 +0100

Hello Don
Yes - I use the knotted string technique quite frequently - but only on the
bass (covered) strings. The only time it is (sometimes) impossible is when
there's an agraffe nut. But I have been known (in a case of real difficulty)
to strip back the covering and reef-knot on an extension (mic. up the core
first) this got me out of that problem - and, oddly enough, the quality of
the sound was not that inferior to the remaining strings.... This is why,
when I restring the bass end of a piano, I always keep a selection of the
cut-off ends as they're often thicker than the reels of string readily
available. Bit of kit really.
Regards
Michael G (UK)