Kastner-Welhau floating centre action

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 02:22:39 +0100

Hello Bill,
Too late! the action has already gone out and the piano sold and delivered.
But from what I can remember, the plastic bushings were the same thickness
as the thickness of the flange forks and the diameter would be about 3.5mm.
much wider than the standard cloth bushing aperture. They were green in
colour and did seem to have a "non-stick" feel about them.

Regards
Alan Forsyth

At 12:21 AM +0100 10/8/03, Alan Forsyth wrote:
>Instead of felt bushings, the hammer, jack and whippen flanges use plastic
inserts as the bushing. These look very similar to railway wheels with a
flange down the one side. It appears that they wear out after a while and
cause the centre to knock. I have reamed them to take a pin one size up, but
do not know how long it will last or if this is the correct procedure or
not. Apparently replacement kits used to be made but alas are no longer
available.