RC vs CC again

Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:26:00 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Calin Thomason" <calint@operamail.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 09, 2003 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: RC vs CC again

> Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>
>   -
>
> >  And I don't see the justification for claiming that some mysterious
> >  "overall tension" is in any way supporting crown. I don't see it as
any
> >  factor at all let alone a significant factor.....
>

> And just why would "overall tension" of the ribs be any more *mysterious*
in supporting crown then overall compression of the panel is ? Hmmmm ????

> While this tension in the ribs is indeed slight, it most assuredly needs
accounting for.

> Calin Thomason

I say "mysterious" because I'm not at all sure there is any "overall
tension" that affects the formation or maintanance of crown as suggested
throughout this thread. Certainly no one has ever proven its existance by
any test or measurement that I am aware of. Nor do I find the arguments for
either its existance or for its beneficial effect at all compelling.
Indeed, quite the opposite. If there is any measurable overall tension in
the rib I don't see how it is going to do anything but oppose the overall
system crown.

And, yes, I surely could be wrong. But, if such overall tension does
exist -- and if it does actually affect either the formation of, or the
maintanance of, crown -- its effect is going to be of such magnitude as to
be of no consequence in the real world of piano soundboard design and
construction. Therefore, from a purely practical standpoint, I don't really
care if it accounted for or not.

>From an academic standpoint I'll certainly be interested in anything any
reseacher -- it's not going to be me -- might discover out about the
subject and chose to publish.

Del