Raising Don Rose to Standard Pitch

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:11:35 -0000

This is how I do it. I do use an "etd" (thank God I don't have perfect
pitch! I have to work with an Orchestra at A=430 as well as A=415 - and
even, dig this,  A=397) which has a meter on it and able to be set to A =
445,444,443,442,441 and, of course, 440.  Then starting from the MIDDLE
mentally divide the entire piano into "Quadrants". That is to say into major
thirds. Having first established the current ruling pitch of the piano AND
satisfying the criteria that the piano will stand this treatment and is
worth it, AND (not least) establishing with the Client the necessary
"caveats" of broken strings/frame etc., off we go. Start on middle "B"  (why
not? got to start somewhere!) This is the governing rule. Go down to the
bottom first then, starting from the middle, go to the top end.  Tune all
the Bs on the piano '#' in accordance with the following simple rule: If the
piano is semi-tone flat set the meter to A=445. Then, by ear, tune the
"quadrants" (major thirds - so-called quadrants because you get four in an
8ve.) between the Bs. Done it? Good. The piano is now quarter of the way up!
Next tune all the A's. to A=444. Then follow the previous route of tuning by
ear. The piano is now half-way up! Next tune the A#'s to A=442. OK? Follow
this by tuning the intermediate two notes per 8ve by ear as before. During
this cycle there are, just for self-satisfaction, a few cross-checks you can
try. Now we are three-quarters of the way through. Finally tune the G#'s
throughout to A=441 (or 440 - depending on how the cross-checks in this
final phase turn out) Finally tune the intermediate major thirds by ear as
before. This will give all the cross-checks you could possibly want. The
piano is now ready for a Fine Tuning...Done!! One of the useful things about
quadrants is that they follow the pattern of the wrest (tuning) pins. You
have "Upper Quadrants" and "Lower Quadrants" - and knowing this helps as a
mnemonic - particularly if you're chipping the srings up without the
advantage of a keyboard in-situ.
It goes without saying, obviously, that you all have a fine awareness of the
beats given by descending/ascending major thirds. Of course you do - as I
said "It goes without saying..."
Good luck!
Am off now to tune a largish Bechstein grand up to pitch for some charity
raising operatic venture in a large country mansion. This piano I don't
know. I must take my Roslau Blues with me! The owner, on asking him what it
is, "thinks" it's a Bechstein... 'nuff said.
Ta ta all!
Michael G (UK)