Raising to Standard Pitch

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:14:29

Hi Michael,

Ah you heritical Britons are at it again. Here pitch correction (a better
term I feel) is often done from bass to treble pulling unisons as you go,
for EDT assisted tuners (edt = electronic tuning device). The Aural folks I
believe sometimes use "both ways from the middle, a quick and dirty
temperament with over pull expanded alternately in the bass and treble,
again with unisons as you go. If you are merely bionic (and ETD) it can be
done in about 12 minutes. Then follows a "find tuning". My personal belief
(backed by hard cold measurements) is that large pitch corrections followed
by fine tunings are not-so-fine in a day or a week.

It would be most interesting to me personally if you would "write out" your
hop skip and jump pitch correction method. (I really didn't know we are
going to be taking up "track and field events as piano techs *grin*)

It also appears you may be using an EDT. If so which one? (or is that 007
information?)

At 11:20 PM 12/9/2003 -0000, you wrote:
>   Hello Scott (downunder) Thanks for your comment.  Raising the pitch
>takes about 40 minutes followed by a fine tune of 50 minutes.  All the
>raising done in a strange "jump about the keyboard" way in order to  equal
>out the increasing tension. The first pass is about 40 cents sharp of 440,
>the second about 30 cents sharp, the third about 20 cents sharp and the
>final at  A = 440. Oddly enough I find that I hardly have to adjust those
>from the first  pass - even though they wqere at 40 cents #  Now try doing
>that standing on your head! (I jest -  of course!)  What an interesting
>name place Wollongong - I'm  quite envious.... Regards  Michael G (UK)
>(up-over!)

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/