Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:24:15 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/03 10:53:45 AM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< to witness a speed demonstration.

Terry....quick "pitch raises" are not about 'tuning' it is about
'process'....the 'process' of pitch raising is simple and straight forward and relates
only vaguely to tuning per se.
 Speed is not about tuning it is about 'process' and the 'process' of raising
tension on strings need not be complicated or slow.

 Tuning, whether done on a piano that is 2 cents flat or 100 cents flat, can
only be done when the piano is 'close' enough for 'tuning' to take precedence
over 'process'.
 Those who can pitch raise and tune a piano faster than others are the ones
who concentrate on the 'process' first and then worry about 'tuning'.
Techniques that are required when 'tuning' are mostly simply wasted when in the
'process' of pitch raising, i.e. "setting the pin", etc.

 As I am one of those whom you doubt as to time required for a pitch
raise/tuning I can only say that I quite reguarly do the whole thingee in an hour to
an hour & a half.
Of course I normally always tune twice even for a "normal" tuning and perhaps
this practice allows me to be faster when doing pitch raises........... in
practice though if you don't want to do fast pitch raises.......don't do
them....just keep in mind that your time is all you have to sell.
Phil Jolly.........