Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:34:35 -0500

>Yeah, I can tune a piano in less than an hour but it ain't going to sound
>too good a week later.  Considering I probably hit a note 6-7 times while
>tuning/setting a pin (including a listening blow), a can't even fathom how
>it is possible to do a fine tuning in under an hour.

Part of this depends on how "fine" tuning is defined. It's quite possible
to spend all day on one piano chasing minutiae that isn't going to entirely
resolve no matter what you do, and a lot depends on the piano. But I
suspect something else. I think you're listening too long and tuning too
little. You don't have to listen for three or four seconds to determine
beat rates setting intervals. Keep moving. If you hit each string twice as
many times and tune in the attack phase of the sound, rather than the
diminishing sustain that most relatively new tuners spend most of their
time in, you'll cut your time down considerably and probably produce a
better and more solid tuning as well. This is especially useful tuning
unisons, because you aren't listening to beats at all. You're listening for
divergence - drift - eeeeoooooooowwwwwwwwwww. Hitting a string three or
four times a second, you can hear the beginning of that divergence and
chase it down very quickly. You may end up hitting each string 20+ times
each, but you're moving through the piano faster. All this activity tends
to settle the strings without pounding too, so it's not hard on the hands.
You do make a heck of a lot of noise though, so the earplugs are a good idea.

Tuning times from 40-70 minutes, depending on the piano, but typically
around 50. Pitch raise and tune is typically 60-75 minutes, again,
depending on the piano. Some of them just fall into place and you get the
impression of being carried through the tuning. Others make you think again
about pursuing a career with Roto-Rooter. Those and the mega pitch raises
are the ones that take 90 minutes.

Ron N