base string over pull

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:10:36 -0600

At 09:07 AM 10/8/2003 +0000, Don wrote:

>Of course new strings will drop more than 15 cents. The "feeling" is that
>going over 15 cents sharp with wound strings may make them false. I don't
>think any definitive research has been done in this area.

On Monday I tuned a rebuilt Knabe grand that another local tuner had been
looking after. The bottom three notes were each *a fourth* high, though C1
was right on. I have no way of knowing how they sounded when new, but after
putting them at the right pitch they sounded fine, at least for now. We'll
see how they are in six months. I was surprised they hadn't snapped.

                 John