Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:07:58 -0700

I've been reading all of this Bravado and some truthful times it takes to do
quality tuning. To those who admit to over 1 1/2 hrs, I say fine. Y'all are
not doing bad at all!
I've been tuning for over 30 years. My average time for a first time client,
is over 2 hours. Sometimes going as much as 6 hours, for one tuning. Of
course, the ones that take over 2 hours are usually some weird critter like
a square grand or an over-damper piano.
Today, I returned, after 6 months, to a Gonzales, Square Grand, that
initially was 45cents flat of 435cps. The initial visit took 5 hours. Of
course, part of that 5 hours, was spent indocrinating the client about
square grands and another part was aligning hammers, cleaning the interior,
etc. Today, I found all but a few notes well within 2 cents of where I put
it, 6 months ago! The extra time that I spent, initially, paid off TODAY.
Within 2 1/2 hours, I tuned it, cleaned the Ivory keys, dusted/cleaned and
installed a repaired damper lever, that I have had in the shop for, lo,
these last 6 months. (It was A0 and had been muted off.<G>) It is my belief
that "rushing" through a tuning is counter productive for long term
stability. However, "dawdling" through a pitch raise/tuning is also
counter-productive.
What I'd really like to see/hear from a lot of you guys/gals, is how fast
you can, efficiently and proficiently do a set of key bushings, a set of key
tops, a resurfacing of hammers, a set of dampers, (install and regulate), or
any of the many tasks we all do to make a piano better.
FYI, I can do a set of key bushings, (out/in), in less than 2 hours; replace
keytops, (Ivorine...NOT those damned "moulded" thingees!)..2 hours, Surface
a set of hammers in less than an hour. Repin EVERY flange in a grand action
in less than 10 hours. All of these things can be done efficiently, without
being destructive to your physical well-being. Whereas,
"slam/bang/thankyoumam tunings" are really hard on the body/mind, IMSO!
Let's put our "speed" where it counts. Just a few thoughts on the subject of
"Speed".<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police