Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:53:17 +0200

Hello Joe !

A recent comment about tuning , regulation , or whatever work done.

Pianos are havving some kind of inertia in regard to tuning,
regulation, and so on.

That mean that we try to obtain a new state of inertia when we
regulate, tune, change pitch, etc.

I have seen 1/2 step PR done in 2 hours and holding fine, but I now
always take another date to be back there and be sure I leave the
piano tuned stable for the next 4 years (at this moment the custome
call me back !)

The only way to have regular tuning appointments for me is to remind
them that the piano is waiting for me. I see numerous tuning I've done
a few years ago, that where almost at pitch (2-3 cts 3 or 4 yeas
later) and the piano begin just to be really "out of tune". (Numerous
is of course exagerated, but that is normal in the case of a good
instrument in good climate)

I regulmarely have professional pianist that I thought they where not
going to call me again, calling 3 or 4 year saying, "the piano just
went out of tune" .
Was really upset with that befor, but now I understand that it is my
work to follow them (will not give them a free PR nowadays)

On the other hand I fight to be tuning minimum 4 time/year in schools,
and have a fast check daily when in exams (same for concerts or
studio, tuning is dayly checked, sometime twice).

As you very truly saying, that is much more important to have speed in
our routine maintenance, bushing, pinning, hammer filing, because then
we can propose a real maintenance curse for acceptable budgets.

I own the first (little) music school in Paris that accepted  such
course, I can take a grand action for 1 day in the shop and bring it
back with a better pinning, middle of the keyboard rebush, hammers
renewed, dust gone, keys clean and level, on the next day. I then
count on 2-3 hours for regulation, and the instrument is well for the
next year, and more important, it does not degrade fast as if the
parts where having too much play.

For less played instruments, I have 1.5 hours /year for verticals, and
up to 3 hours for grands to give them minimal maintenance, and that
seem sufficient to avoid biggest problems of fast deterioration.

But I am yet to gain speed at dampers work !!!!

Do you use a router to shape ivorine ? What is the glue you like for
this (Yamaha for instance) I use the hot white glue , seems fine, but
the shaping of the top is a long job to me (mostly because I don't own
a good "tank" or belt sander I guess)

BTW I've seen on the WATANABE web site a setup & tool named "scraper
for key front" did not figure really how it works.

Any idea ?

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.