Times for Tunings - no Bravado please!

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:02:15 -0000

Hello all
There's no doubt it takes some of us longer than others to tune a piano. =
The time it takes is immaterial so long as the job is true and you feel =
personally happy with it. My last rush job was Thursday night (last) =
when I was obliged to tune - or check the tunings of - 13 pianos, mostly =
Grands (Yamahas, Steinways and the like) ditto the few uprights - in 4 =
1/2 hours. This is not bravado, this is just the way I have to work =
sometimes. Another time like that is in my schools. One of them has 25 =
pianos - a motley collection which includes a Yamaha CF3 concert, a =
couple of model "A"s and some Yamaha U3s + a Harpsichord. I have to =
reckon on spending average 1/2 hour on each. I have six schools and the =
time in them is mostly taken up getting from one piano (who's got the =
key?) to another. For my private tunings I operate on the basis of one =
hour - that is to say 50minutes or so allowing me time to get to the =
next one. I work best under pressure and timing them the way I do gives =
me just that amount of stimulus. Doesn't always work, but mostly there's =
no trouble I can't deal with in that time. Knotting broken strings, =
regluing key tops, easing stiff centres, adjusting the pedals - you name =
it. BUT if the piano has to be brought up to A =3D 440 (I refuse to say =
"Standard Pitch") from up to a semi-tone flat then I usually allow 1 3/4 =
hours and try to get it done, including fine tuning, in 1 1/2 hours. =
There's no such thing as "Standard Pitch" In  Vienna the ruling pitch is =
445 in UK it's 440 and in early music it can be 430, 415 or even 397Hz. =
OK?
Regards to you all
Michael G (UK)