soundboard stresses

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:02:36 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: October 14, 2003 2:49 PM
  Subject: Re: soundboard stresses

   =20

  I just noticed there was a reference to tension along the grain that =
more or less says, we dont really have reliable data because measurement =
is rather difficult and demand for the information is too small to =
justify it. So it would seem difficult to make many conclusions about =
tension with the grain.=20
The tensile strength for green Sitka spruce is 8,600 lb/in2. It is about =
13% higher at 12% MC. Remembering, of course, that this is an average of =
several samples. And don't forget to degrade this figure by about 40% if =
you intend to hang from it for more than a week or two.

See the notes about this in the Wood Handbook. Chapter 4.

Del