Restoring Crown

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:42:38 EDT

  Alan
  Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. Unless there is really efficient way
to do this I think I'd probably have to charge 2k more than what a new board
costs to replace. I have actually thought this thru & even if you can get
every thing loose with minimum damage Including bridges, Board from the rim & ribs
off. It has to be pressed and all the usual stuff done. So to my mind it
would take more time. Would I like to try it ? You bet. Some one tell me a
efficacsious way  to get A S&S board out with out smashing it to kindling  & I'm on
board.(get it)  Providing the panel is'nt cracked to smitherines. If it is then
there's panel regluing.
  See my point---Dale
Dale,
You will find that the PianoWorld site talks about restoring crown on their
technical tips page: click on "Twist the old bass strings/ also soundboard
crown"

The same sit has the following to say;

new one.  Would that same shop restore a Stradivarius Violin by throwing it
out and building a new one?  I think not.  Then don't replace a piano's
soundboard.">>>>

This reminds me of the story of a Municipal streetsweeper who was awarded a
medal for managing to keep his same broom for 25 years; okay he had replaced
the brush several times and the handle several times, but according to him
it was essentially the same broom!

!!!!!!

Regards
Alan Forsyth

Dale Erwin wrote;
>>"Scott
I dialed up the web site Piano world in St. Luis but could find no
description of what you're saying in regard to them restoring crown. ">>