Restoring Crown

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:48:03 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/03 8:03:00 PM, RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> >My question is then, does the actual shape and CURVATURE (crown) of the
> >soundboard contribute to its acoustic properties. To me, the implication of
> >the above statements is that crown is not there to support downbearing.
> What
> >say ye all?
> >
> >Regards
> >Alan Forsyth
>
> The crown is there because it's an easy way to add stiffness without adding
> mass. A flat board that's still stiff enough can still sound pretty good.

Story & clark used to have those store demonstration 3-4 inch wide strips of
soundboard with a tuning fork screwed to the middle and a tension rack below.
The fork was struck and then the rack engaged to produce varying amounts of
crown in this little strip of board. Of course the tuning fork tone increased
dramatically when crowned. Problem is, it's an awfully small footage of
soundboard, is this really a reliable proof of crown producing amplification (or at
least good transmission) ?
Glenn C.