Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:11:30 EDT

Hello Corte,

If I'm pitch-raising or tuning a new piano(I seem to be doing alot of these
lately), I will generally play the upper treble notes really hard at least once
 up and down the scale from the treble break before I ever set hammer to pin.
 Dogs will usually make their way into the other room during this procedure.

This gives me a better idea of where the tension was/is, as most of the time
on mass-produced pianos, the notes will sink dramatically in pitch.  It will
then be easier to calculate how much you'll have to pull it up when you start
turning pins, and the piano will be more stable in the long run.  It can take
forever if you keep bringing it up, then beating it down.

Dave Stahl