Restoring Crown

Robert Scott robert.scott@tunelab-world.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:14:15 -0400

Glenn C. writes:

> Story & clark used to have those store demonstration 3-4 inch wide
> strips of
> soundboard with a tuning fork screwed to the middle and a tension rack
> below.
> The fork was struck and then the rack engaged to produce varying amounts
> of
> crown in this little strip of board. Of course the tuning fork tone
> increased
> dramatically when crowned. Problem is, it's an awfully small footage of
> soundboard, is this really a reliable proof of crown producing
> amplification
> (or at least good transmission) ?

No, I don't think so.  All it really proves to me is that when the board
is flexed, the nut and washer holding the tuning fork to the board make
better contact with the board.  It is not very representative of what goes
on with a glued bridge instead of a screwed tuning fork.

-Robert Scott
  Ypsilanti, Michigan