Brass Rail Tension

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:08:57 -0700

I'm working on a 1907 M. Schulz upright.  It has a brass rail.  Most of
the hammers are sluggish.  No sign of vertigris etc...

I've started re-pinning the hammer butts (had to rebush a few that have
come apart during the process). I'm familiar with checking the tension
on items with wood flanges.  But on the brass rail I'm having to install
the hammer, check the tension, re-pin, re-bush, ream or burnish,
re-install, try again, etc...   After many tries, many of them just
don't seem to be getting any better.  Any tricks of the trade?

I'm having a hard time with this one.  (But, like daddy said,  "If it
was easy, everyone would do it!").

Any suggestions?

Joey Recker

Joey,
Wouldn't a better term be "flange friction"?<G> Having said that, I use an
olde Chickering Grand Brass Flange that has a screw/plate/notch that the
center pin can be anchored into. I rather suspect you don't have one of
those, so....Take a hammer flange, put a flat on one end; file a notch, with
a triangle file; get a Yamaha Hammer Butt Plate & screw; drill for the
screw; fit the plate so it will sufficiently "clamp" the center pin. (make
sure the shank is not too wide) Then it's a simple matter of "swings", (4-6
preferred). Might I also suggest the Mannino bushing/reamers, available from
Schaff/APSCO. These will make rebushing a whole lot more consistant and
easy.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police