A Small Equation = inharmonicity??

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:23:31 -0400

At 2:49 PM -0400 10/14/03, Don wrote:
>I'm not a Verituner user, so can not speak to what it offers from any hands
>on knowledge, but it is my understanding that it listens to several
>"partials" of a single note and displays them in real time on a spinner by
>using a Digital Sound Processing Chip.

I'm not a Verituner user either (and I rarely get out my RTC) but the
way I understand it, VT's DSP derives frequencies for the lower eight
partials on the current note, and then calculates the tuning based on
the notes currently known (with all those partials). The spinner may
represent one partial in particular or it may represent a composite.
That depends on which partial the VT is listening to as you bring
that single string in. In any case, once the visual display has
stabilized, the note has been tuned. Who needs to know anything more
than that.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin