Fw: Verituner 100 CUSTOM STYLE

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:29:13 +0000

Michael G wondered about beatless octaves, Dave Carpenter answered:

>A3A4: My 8ves are tempered to no beats - according to the piano
>
>Keep in mind that completely beatless octaves are not usually possible,
>only one set of matching partials can be beatless at a time.

Michael, you would need to do some specific testing of what you do aurally
to find a way to translate your tuning to the Verituner.  I've found that
while I may aurally just move A3 to find the best spot, and assume that it
is beatless, it really is a specific blend of more than one type of octave.
(2:1, 4:2, or 6:3)  You'd need to decide, using the 3rd/10th test, if they
are equal, or if one beats faster than the other. Likewise use other tests
to zero in on the type of octave you are setting.  This width will change
depending on the type of piano.  Some sound best stretched closer to a 6:3,
while others need to be narrower, closer to a 2:1 for the octave to sound
good.

There is a subtle, yet noticable difference between the tuning calculated
out of the box, and a tuning calculated with the input of a user willing to
spend some time customizing.  That being said, the machine does a VERY good
job without ever dealing with the custom tuning option.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected  with high-speed
Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.
https://broadband.msn.com