verituner spinner

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:34:52 -0500

>Yup, kindof, depending on how far you are talking about.  I did some
>testing over the summer and it was in the range of repeatability 'till the
>string was about 25-30 cents from pitch.  So yes, (if I can guess your
>next question) it is a good idea to get measurements for tuning
>calculations close to A=440.
>
>Ron K

That's what I figured, and yes, measuring at close to A=440 is part of it
too. The rest of it is that once a single sampling is analyzed for partial
frequencies and their proportional relationship, this information would be
used to calculate the tuning curve with all the custom weighting tweaks.
The algorithm controlling the spinner needs only keep track of one partial
as usual, the pitch of which is determined by the tuning curve calculation
(et al). You wouldn't need to continually read and mix all the partials of
the string in real time to control the spinner if their relationships to
one another are stable through moderate pitch changes. Track one, and the
rest follow.

Ron N